Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

THD measure for Low Pass Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

bio_man

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guy's,

I got THD=1.738% out of my Low Pass filter, I heard we can measure the linearity using THD .. any one can help?

Thanks in advance,

Hi guy's,

I got THD=1.738% out of my Low Pass filter, I heard we can measure the linearity using THD .. any one can help?
Thanks in advance,

What is your problem? Normally, the linearity is specified in terms of the THD.

What is your problem? Normally, the linearity is specified in terms of the THD.

do you think this is a good linearity ? (THD=1.7%) if I change it to db , it would be 20log(THD/100)=35dB !!
because I saw poeple put the measure of linearity in dB not in % .

do you think this is a good linearity ? (THD=1.7%) if I change it to db , it would be 20log(THD/100)=35dB !!
because I saw poeple put the measure of linearity in dB not in % .

1.) It must be -35 dB
2.) What means "good"? Depends on the applcation and the corresponding requirements. Sometimes it is acceptable and in some other cases it is not.

Thanks LvW for your comments! it really helps.

but in general, how can I improve the linearity ?
becuase this value (-35dB) seems to be very low compared to other filters I found in the litreture for the same application I am designing for.
some filters shows -60dB!

Thanks LvW for your comments! it really helps.

but in general, how can I improve the linearity ?
becuase this value (-35dB) seems to be very low compared to other filters I found in the litreture for the same application I am designing for.
some filters shows -60dB!

The degree of linearity (to be measured as THD) always depends on signal amplitudes within the circuitry.
Thus, the simplest solution - without modifying the circuit - is to decrease the input amplitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.