Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

testpin<=clock; not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

buenos

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
21:15 clock

hi

I would expect a toggling signal on the test pin output:
testpin <= clock; (VHDL)
but it is constant logic high, where the clock input to the FPGA is coming from an oscillator, I have measured and its OK/toggling.

edn viewref prim

Depends on where the said line is placed in the entity. If the assignment is unconditional, you're right.

it is in the middle of the logic, in between the begin of architecture and end.

why it does not put the clock to the output?

Added after 7 minutes:

oh, and it is not in a process. is it a problem?
previously with xilinx i always did this, now with Actel may it be different?

if it is inside the clock sensitivity process and change with respect to positive clock edge the o/p will always be high..

could you be more detailed? why will it be always high?

i have tried it without any processes, and ALSO within a process sensitive to clock.

Added after 1 hours 6 minutes:

if i check the EDN file, it seems it did not assign an IO buffer for these pins. why?

for another signal:
(port fpga_test2 (direction OUTPUT))
instance fpga_test2_pad (viewRef prim (cellRef OUTBUF (libraryRef PA3)))

for this signal:
(port fpga_test10 (direction INPUT))
i am driving it with a clock, it should NOT be an input.

shanmugaveld wrote:
"if it is inside the clock sensitivity process and change with respect to positive clock edge the o/p will always be high.. "

WHY is it so obvious?? why is it high? please provide some explanation too.

I would guess that's because the only time the output is updated is when the clock is high(rising edge).

you mean clocking the output clock signal with itself?
this is NOT that I did.

to make it more interesting, i made few changes:
2 clock input signals (2 onboard oscillators: 66mhz, 32khz) are routed to testpin outputs without any processes. clk1 (66mhz) is clocking onchip flipflops as well, clk2 is not used on-chip. clk2 can be measured on the testpin, while clk1 output stucked high.
so sometimes it routes signals to outputs, sometimes not????? is my chip broken? actel proasic3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back