Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Testing voltage on telephone poles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xerxsea

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello I was running fibre on some telephone poles and touched the messenger and got a shock. It Wasn't huge but definitely noticeable. I'm in an insulated bucket though so it could've only traveled through fingers. So I wanted the ability to check for voltage on the messenger line. So I got a ncv pen but it doesn't tell me anything useful. You can get a reading 6ft away from a dead messenger. Likely due to the transformers/current going through the mains.

Just wanted to be clear on my terms and what the poles are like here in Canada.

the messenger is a steel wire to support data lines. (fiber and copper). It is connected to earth every few poles.

The nuetral is at least 1m above the data lines, although a few poles from where I got a shock the nuetral appears to be touching the messenger.

The primary is above the nuetral.

So what do people use to test this? Will a clamp meter do what I need to keep me safe?

'Telephone' pole ... 'power' pole... Whatever it is, needs to measure at a pole that has a good ground connection as reference for a voltmeter probe when measuring your 'messenger' support.
Telephony circuits are 50 VDC, and can be noticeable touching with sweaty hands. Telephone while ringing is 90VAC 20Hz , for sure noticeable at touch. Cable TV signals use a booster powered by usually 24V, unlikely to be that much noticeable. Find the problem !

But if I measure at a pole where it's grounded to earth wouldn't it have to be 0v? Or 0v + whatever VD is just down the copper grounding line which would be near 0?

Status
Not open for further replies.