Status
Not open for further replies.

eleboy

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I bought a stepper motor but there is no make/model name printed on it. I would like to check whether that motor is working or not.. Please tell me if there is any easy way to test that.
There is 5 wire in it.. it means that is unipolar right? And is there a way to know the model number or features / limitations of that stepper motor. Thank you.

A simple voltage source such as a 9V battery combined with a multimeter can be used to test and identify the leads many stepper motors. The following video demonstrates this technique:

A five lead stepper motor is typically a unipolar type, with both center taps tied to one lead.

BigDog

Reactions: eleboy

eleboy

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Thank you. I am able to test this stepper motor and its working good Is there any way I can identify the model or limiation/feature like what is the maximum current / voltage it needed etc?

This is an interesting article of how to recognize the wires

Is there any way I can identify the model or limiation/feature like what is the maximum current / voltage it needed etc?

Maybe, if there is a code printed on the motor

But how to test whether stepper motor is bad or in good condition ?? esp 5 lead motor which is typically a unipolar stepper motor

This is an interesting article of how to recognize the wires

Maybe, if there is a code printed on the motor

Very useful link.. Thank you!.
Unfortunately nothing is printed on that motor... but I managed to find that this motor is 12v, 0.16A, 1.8 degree, 5wire unipolar... and equivalent to popular astrosyn Y129. https://canada.newark.com/astrosyn/129/stepper-motor-1-8deg-12v/dp/83K9162

Please tell me your opinion about this motor and for what kind of purpose this motor is generally used... I am thinking of buying this in more numbers as stepper motor is hard to get here and it is available cheap too :-D I am just starting out in electronics.. so don't know in which field of electronics my interest will branch out.. Right now, I am curious about 3D printers ( which seems require bipolar motors ), interested in automation, robotics etc. Thank you !

Status
Not open for further replies.