Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Temperature simulation in SPICE

Status
Not open for further replies.

evilguy

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
as we know in SPICE there is command for setting the simulation temperature. and the command is:

.TEMP

actually how this command affect the simulation? that this command is similar when we varies TNOM in SPICE parameter? for example if we set

Code:
.TEMP 30

and do dc operation point analysis, did we will get the same result when we do the same simulation with TNOM set to 30?
thank you.

it's the same.
TNOM is only the normal temperature setting.

Hi
in HSpice, most of options have by default values, the TNOM is also nominal temperature that circuit is simulated in it! (=25C deg) if you don't set your desired temp.
but when you use .Temp statement you may change this nominal value, but really this is chip temprature!

Regards,
SAZ

from what i've read, TNOM is the temperature which we extract our transistor model. If i simply change the TNOM value, i should also consider other parameter as well such as VTHO, TOX and so on. am i right? when i simulate using
Code:
.TEMP 30
i dont get similar result when i change my TNOM to 30. that is the issue here. what is the correct method to simulate circuit in order to observe the effect of temperature to circuit performance? using
Code:
.TEMP 30
or using or simply changing TNOM=30

It's strange. I try it with spectre, and the results are the same. In spectre, the temp is the real temperature.

evilguy said:
from what i've read, TNOM is the temperature which we extract our transistor model. If i simply change the TNOM value, i should also consider other parameter as well such as VTHO, TOX and so on. am i right? when i simulate using
Code:
.TEMP 30
i dont get similar result when i change my TNOM to 30. that is the issue here. what is the correct method to simulate circuit in order to observe the effect of temperature to circuit performance? using
Code:
.TEMP 30

You are right, TNOM is the temperature at which we do the measurement for model extraction..... You cannot simply change the TNOM..... This is model parameter..... If you want to do temperature simulation, use .TEMP option..... say .TEMP 125

renwl said:
It's strange. I try it with spectre, and the results are the same. In spectre, the temp is the real temperature.
i'm not familiar with spectre. is spectre also used similar model for transistor? i mean using BSIM model couse TNOM is one of parameter in BSIM model.

pbs681 said:
evilguy said:
Code:
.TEMP 30
Code:
.TEMP 30

You are right, TNOM is the temperature at which we do the measurement for model extraction..... You cannot simply change the TNOM..... This is model parameter..... If you want to do temperature simulation, use .TEMP option..... say .TEMP 125
thanks... i think i agree with you too. .TEMP is the correct way to simulate circuit in different temperature and i've prove it as my simulation is identical to one of paper that i've read. changing TNOM is wrong because it is suppose to be fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back