Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TEM mode in microstrip line is even mode or odd mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

x529

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
TE10 is even mode, TE20 mode is odd mode. I am confused that wheather TEM mode in microstrip line is even mode?
Thanks!
微带线模式.png

last time i looked, microstrip was Linear Space Electric mode, LSE.
is that not still the best way to look at it? that models to explain dispersion very well

last time i looked, microstrip was Linear Space Electric mode, LSE.
is that not still the best way to look at it? that models to explain dispersion very well
Thanks for your answer. I'm sorry. I don't quite understand

To me, the question makes no sense.

We usually discuss even mode vs. odd mode for TWO parallel conductors over ground, i.e. a three conductor system.

To me, the question makes no sense.

We usually discuss even mode vs. odd mode for TWO parallel conductors over ground, i.e. a three conductor system.
Oh, yes. This is because I want to know whether the TEM mode in microstrip line can excited odd mode or even mode. According the simulation, I find it may excited even odd, so I guess the TEM mode in microstrip line is even mode. I dont know whether it right? The TEM mode in microstrip line like the even mode in the picture, right?
Looking forward to your reply.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    172.7 KB · Views: 159

I don't understand your question. Do you understand the meaning of even and odd mode?

Even mode and odd mode refers to two coupled microstrip lines, as shown in your screenshot. These can be excited even mode and odd mode, both is real and we need to consider both modes.

For simulation, we can represent the even and odd mode cases by a structure cut in half at the symmetry plane, with electric/magnetic wall to model (enforce) the symmetry.

In real life, we often want the coupled lines as a differential pair, so we have odd mode. But even mode can exist as a parasitic effect, so we usually consider both modes.

Last edited:

I think a better way to phrase your question could be: does a microstrip mode exhibit physical symmetry about a vertical axis which bisects the shown transverse cross-sectional plane of the line?

To which the answer is: yes. The field profile is indeed similar to the "even" mode field profile shown in your figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back