Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TCP/IP and PPP for Controller.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

imarshad

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
atmega ppp

Hi all!
I am doing a project with Atmel AVR and Wavecom GPRS modems. Unfortunately the GPRS modem I am using, doesnot have a TCP/IP stack or PPP. So I need to build/use my own stack. The controller I am using is ATMega162.

Now I thoroughly searched the internet for open source TCP/IP stacks for controllers.... Here is my research...
1) The best one that I found was Ethernut... It has a TCP/IP stack plus a PPP stack and fulfills all the requirements.... Unfortunately it requires ATMega128 or higher. I am not in a position to change my hardware design to incorporate the 64 pin ATMega128 in my design...
2) UIP from http://www.sics.se/~adam/uip/...
It has a TCP/IP stack and can be ported for ATMega162... In fact it has already been done **broken link removed**
The problem here is that it doesnot have a PPP stack in it.... So I am stuck again....

What other options am I left with?
Is there any PPP stack that be used with uipAVR?
Any other free PPP stack for low RAM microcontrollers?
Any other free/open source TCP/IP stack with PPP for my microcontroller?
Please help me in this regard....

lwip gprs

check this out it might help

these are the supported Network Protocols
ARP
ICMP
IP
UDP
DHCP

shereef

lwip atmega128

Unfortunately it doesnot have the PPP stack.... Anyways it was a very good reference and I will try to use many libraries from this resource.... But my quest for PPP stack continues...

tcp ip atmega

lwip and search forum for tcp ip lean book and source code
**broken link removed**

atmega tcp/ip stack for gprs

From lwip website
The focus of the lwIP TCP/IP implementation is to reduce the RAM usage while still having a full scale TCP. This makes lwIP suitable for use in embedded systems with tens of kilobytes of free RAM and room for around 40 kilobytes of code ROM.
Although it has all what I need but again it requires more RAM/ROM then what ATMega 162 has.... If I am going to change my Controller then definitely I will go for Ethernut....
Thanks for the link anyways....

ppp lwip

Get the code for tcp lean book as it uses the PIC with less ram i guess.

Regarding code quality it could be not the complete tcp stack implementation as there is trade between code size and implemented functionality. Also for small RAM implementation there could be problem with high speed due to limited buffer for message processing.
I would not use 16 KB flash chip for ppp and the rest stuff unless i am not forced to do that .

Added after 1 minutes:

imarshad said:
From lwip website
The focus of the lwIP TCP/IP implementation is to reduce the RAM usage while still having a full scale TCP. This makes lwIP suitable for use in embedded systems with tens of kilobytes of free RAM and room for around 40 kilobytes of code ROM.
If I am going to change my Controller then definitely I will go for Ethernut....

Ethernet as far as i know does not need ppp.

free ppp stack embedded arm7

Try a small linux board (usually arm based), tcp/ip and ppp are ready (and tested) in linux.

lwip avr gprs

Wavecom GPRS modems have it's own stack implemented inside: you can access using APIs or socket (just like socket programming on PC). I think this is the best solution, because I have implemented my own TCP/IP stack on board accessing the Wavecom modem (GR64) and I got crazy: the modem was buggy on GPRS transparent data transmission. But (later!!!!) I realize that the embedded stack works really properly.
Hope this could be a precious advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back