Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TC4422 question re-phrased

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's at least a step in the right direction. The kick back current can be as high as the inductor current. That's no problem for the z-diode if the curent pulse is short.

I ended up getting a 12V/5W zener diode and soldered in parallel with the TC4422 ans it seems to work well at protecting the TC4422.

However I seem to have developed a new problem in that I am apparently getting massive currents through the mosfet and primary coil from a new car battery.

The maximum rating of the mosfet I was using is 7A and when you bring the HV and ground close together, such that the resistance drops, there is a good chance that the amps going through the mosfet exceeds 7A. At any rate the mosfet seems to have died and my 4-5A fuse now blows as soon as I connect the circuit up to the car battery.

The TC4422 etc is still OK however as I can still see oscillation through by diagnostic LED.

But some how I need to limit the current to perhaps 3-4A.

I could do it with a resistor easy enough, however the best I have salvaged from tvs are 10W resistors from 2-4R. Some of these are about right but the power that they will have to disipate will be well in excess of 10W.

With a bit of mucking around and arranging a variety of these 10W resistors in parallel and series I managed to get about 4R and about 40W.

I have a 2.2R, 2.2R, 270R and 6.8R in parallel, and then all of this in series with a 2.7R. All that adds up to between 3-4R.

But it is very cumbersome and a pain to adjust if I want more or less current.

What about a ballast inductor? That way I wouldn't need to worry about heat disipation.

But how do you go about calculating the inductance value you need? I haven't been able to find any appropriate online calculators. Do you know of any?

In other words, you are controlling the transistor with fixed on-time and without any current limiting means. Now you complain about unexpected high current.

I see two options:
- adjust the on-time carefully starting from low values
- use a pwm controller with peak current limiting, e.g. UC3843

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back