Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

target and link library

Status
Not open for further replies.

nishi123

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am learning to use dc_shell for synthesizing
Currently I am trying to understand why I have to set a link_library and what is the difference between link_library and target_library.
To understand what the tool does when I set a link_library, I synthesized the same design twice.

First without setting the link_library
In second one, I used the same library as link_library as target_library. No asterisk (*) or other .db files.

The first try returned the following error –
Error: Cannot find the specified driving cell in memory. (UID-993)

Now I have used only one sample library as link_library and target_library, and it does contain the driving cell I specified in the .sdc file.
My questions are –
1. If I have only one library to use, do I have to set both target_library AND link_library?
2. When both target and link is the same library why the tool can find the driving cell when specified as link library but cannot find when only target_library (the very same library) is specified?

Hi.

Target Library: A technology library that Design Compiler maps to during optimization. Along with the link_library and search_path variables, you need to specify the logical library that will be used for mapping/optimization.

Link Library : The technology library that contains the definition of the cells used in the mapped design. In principle should be the same as target_library unless a technology translation is being performed.

Search Path: If the library variables only specify file names, search_path is used to locate libraries. By default points to current working directory. By default, you must specify the unix-path for all files (relative or absolute). It specifies where to look for files.

When you're linking your design after compilation & elaboration DC uses the link library which being empty in first case Errors out.

Don't you have any StdCells that you're saying that you need only 1 lib here. Target lib will mainly comprise of StdCells . Link lib will comprise of structural models any IP that you may have in the design like Memories, PHY etc. etc. And you should also use the asterisk(*) before specifying any link lib.

~Nandasan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back