Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] System power supply 3.3v vs 3.0v

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuniorEE

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

What are the considerations for choosing system power supply voltage 3.0v or 3.3v ?
For example :
If i have ICs that can operate at both voltages but a power supply of 5v - Which LDO output voltage will be better ? and why ?
Or it doesn't matter at all ?

Many thanks

It depends on the voltage rating of the ICs in your system, whether they require 3 or 3.3V.

Having said that, most modern ICs that I've looked up lately, are fully characterized at both 3 and 3.3 volt.
Personally, if my design has an analog path, I like the extra headroom of 3.3 volt.

With respect to LDOs....there are dozens and dozens of them from many vendors. The decision is whether you want a simple 3-terminal device, or a full featured one which has external shutdown, error flags, noise reduction, trimming, power-on-delays, etc.

Again, I personally like the LP2987 in the latter case.

Hi,

it doesn´t matter much. I´d prefer 3.3V because it is more common.
Using 3.0V may reduce power consumption a little.

Klaus

Using a 3.0V/3.3V part at the 3.0V will usually mean the part is slower. uC commonly have this issue and have graphs that show MHz vs. V.

Status
Not open for further replies.