Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

System on a chip, good or bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

prestonee

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I admit to being an analog designer / gaming nerd.
And so I found myself highly interested in the hardware announcements of the new PS4.
A few years ago I was excited to see ATI bought by AMD in hopes this would lead to a new architecture that allowed faster communication between graphics and processor.
Since then I have noticed the general consensus that PCs with SoC are for low end markets while high end requires a dedicated graphics card, which suggest segregation of cpu and gpu is better. Why is this the case?
if the two are designed to work exclusively with each other and share the same silicon, wouldn't this reduce interfacing parasitics(RC delays being removed), which reduce power costs of driving the bus lines across PCBs?
So why isnt this a sought after commodity with increased performance?
So thats the question about SoC.
now if the PS4 uses an architecture based on AMD jaguar, whos market segment is ultrabooks and tablets, why would it be competitive to say the high end gaming pc?
-Pb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back