Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

synthesize error: Slice out of range

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuanqi

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guy, I met an error when I do the synthesis.
Here is the code:
temp2:=temp3(temp3'LOW+to_integer(Shift)+3 DOWNTO temp3'LOW+to_integer(Shift));
temp3 is 8-bits wide, and temp2 4-bits wide. I want temp2 to be a window of temp3, and the signal Shift control the position of that window. shift holds 2-bits only, which just range from 0 to 3. so the range should be fine. But the error says:
Slice out of range.
Slice [-2147483648:-2147483648] is not within range [7:0].

Do you have any ideas about it? Thanks in advance.

I think, there is a different violation of VHDL rules, although not complained by the error message. Slices can't have variable ranges. To achieve what you want to do, you can copy individual bits in a loop like shown below:
Code:
FOR I IN 3 DOWNTO 0 LOOP
  temp2(I) := temp3(I+to_integer(Shift));
END LOOP;

Thanks for your quick reply.
To test the possibility of shifted window structure, I write a very simple code as:
11.jpg
and it is synthesis-able. The only difference I can tell is I use 0 instead of temp3'LOW. But the range of temp3 is [7 downto 0]. Quite confused right now!
Anyway, your approach should work. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back