Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Synchronizing gen. with steam turbine

Status
Not open for further replies.

snazzy c

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Apart from making the Phase sequence, and the frequency of the gens.and turbine to be synchronized the same, what other parameters and or factors should one put into consideration when synchronizing! I want to synchronize a gen. (700KVA) with two steam turbines (450KVA and 150 KVA) but was having problems. Pls, I need help.

Are you talking about 3 generators, two of which are attached to a steam turbine each?

I have no direct experience with synchronizing generators.

Or are you talking about two turbines which you wish to connect to one generator?

As with any engine you'll get the most power from a steam turbine when operated at the speed where it produces the most torque. This isn't necessarily easy to determine. It might be done by applying a load and seeing how much the speed goes down.

Then you will gear down the turbine speed in the proper ratio (or change pulley diameters, etc.), to run your generator at the required speed.

This process must be done separately for each turbine. You don't want one turbine trying to drive the other turbine. You want to combine their maximum effective torques.

If I've assumed incorrectly then disregard this post.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.