Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Switching regulator PCB design

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrknownothing

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I am doing a layout for a switching regulator IC. The IC has 2 separate grounds. Where should I short these grounds on the board? What should be the reasoning and thought process for thinking about this.

Thanks

What regulator are you using?
please post the datasheet

Hi,
I am doing a layout for a switching regulator IC. The IC has 2 separate grounds. Where should I short these grounds on the board? What should be the reasoning and thought process for thinking about this.

Thanks

For general ground segregation rules have a read of the first pages of this article by Analog Devices titled 'Grounding In High Speed Systems' (the same principles apply), and check the diagram on the second page:
**broken link removed**

And you should also read at least the first few pages of this one titled 'Analog Layout and Grounding Techniques'
**broken link removed**

For something specifically about switching regulator layout, this one by Maxim is a good overview that also addresses your questions directly:
**broken link removed**

And this one by Texas Instruments is also good
**broken link removed**

And finally in the datasheet for the TPS61026 there is a paragraph on layout specifically relating to this chip on page 17

Last edited:
Hi Tosspot,
Thank you very much for the wonderful links. Really clarified a lot of things. I was thinking to connect the AGND and PGND at the board's VIN terminal to prevent any switching current to flow through the analog ground, but the articles told me just the opposite and explained the reasoning very nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.