Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

supercapacitor and mosfet / voltage sensing switch (energy harvesting) considerations

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeromekang

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
are there differences with the supercapacitor position among the setup:
*full bridge rectifier (4 1N60 germanium diodes)
*dc/dc converter (TPS61200)
*supercapacitor (Cellergy 20mF 4.2V Ultracap with ESR = 0.36milliohms)
**full bridge rectifier AND dc/dc converter using LTC3588

a.) piezo/other transducer -> full bridge rectifier -> supercap -> dc/dc -> battery -> load
b.) piezo/other transducer -> full bridge rectifier -> dc/dc -> supercap -> battery -> load
c.) piezo/other transducer -> full bridge rectifier -> dc/dc -> battery -> supercap -> load

in terms of improving the battery life (NiMH) by charging it, what setup would be optimal?

also, what voltage sensing switch can you suggest for energy harvesting applications? what I was thinking of is that when i am able to charge the super capacitor at a certain voltage (like 4v), the voltage sensing switch would close/short then provide power to a circuitry like the dc/dc converter like the TPS61200 or the complete solution harvesting ic LTC3588

Last edited:

I´m not sure if placing some capacitor close to battery is efective.
The circuit model of the battery is almost the same of the supercap.

Maybe the first configuration ( a ) could be appropriate.

+++

I´m not sure if placing some capacitor close to battery is efective.
The circuit model of the battery is almost the same of the supercap.

Maybe the first configuration ( a ) could be appropriate.

+++

Thank you andre_teprom, what can you suggest about the voltage sensing switch?

Jerome,

I didn´t get the purpose of that voltage sensing.
Is it intended to provide a backup power ?

+++

Jerome,

I didn´t get the purpose of that voltage sensing.
Is it intended to provide a backup power ?

+++

I was thinking of using the voltage sensing switch first as an open switch. When the ultracap charges to a certain voltage (4v), the voltage switch would close shorting the ultracap and the dc/dc regulator. is the voltage sensing switch irrelevant then?

Rather than having a series switch on the input, you could just enable and disable the regulator based on the input voltage. Should have about the same effect, without a loss in efficiency.

Rather than having a series switch on the input, you could just enable and disable the regulator based on the input voltage. Should have about the same effect, without a loss in efficiency.

so what i should do is that if i wanted to accumulate the 4v first in the supercapacitor, i should set the UVLO for the dc/dc converter to 4v so that any voltage below 4v, the regulator wouldn't turn on?

Status
Not open for further replies.