Status
Not open for further replies.

lagos.jl

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all! Maybe this post is a little out of context, but I would really like to enrich from the experience of all of you that have gone through this way before.
I have a BSc degree in EE and two years of experience in analog IC design. I'm planning to apply for a postgraduate program with the aim of obtaining a MsC and then a PhD in the field of high frequency IC design, beginning Fall 2008. I would be grateful if you could help me by giving your advice with regard to the following issues:

1. Since I have no previous experience in RFIC design, I would like to tackle now some implementation in order to enhance my resume prior to applying. Most application deadlines will be due by december 2007. Therfore, I would like to do something simple yet interesting enough to catch a little attention during the application screening process, something developable in an 8-month time frame (note that by simple I don't mean easy: I dig challenges, it's only that I don't have too much time). I am familiar with general RF and telecommunications theory, and I also have experience with EDA tools (Cadence, Tanner, Synopsys) and some knowledge of ADS and MW Office. I think I might also have the possibilty to go to fab, but is not really important to manufacture the design since it would take too long. The question is then:
What would you suggest as an interesting design to implement??(personally I am interested in things like front-ends design, UWB and MMICs in general)

2. I also would like to make the most out of the time I will have untill fall 2008, and thus I intend to start learning theory by myself (I know that research takes most of a postgraduate student's time, leaving almost nothing for actual study and doing coursework). I think that until fall 2008 I have enough time to devour the basic references on the field of telecommunications and RFIC design and also advance my level in the basic sciences (math & physics). The question is then:
What titles would you suggest studying thoroughly???

I think that most of you who had pursued graduate studies in the field of RFIC design could think of this questions as "if I had a time machine to go back in time, what would I have done/learned if I had 1 free year prior to attending grad school, and 8 months prior to applying??"

Needless to say that I really thank in advance your advice with regard of these two issues or anything in general that you would like to recommend!!!

Best regards,

JL.

Re: Suggested preparation before applying to a MSc-PhD progr

for books Razavi and Lee are good places to start.

Re: Suggested preparation before applying to a MSc-PhD progr

Thanks for the advise, toonafishy! I have access to both books and will start with them as soon as possible (I have already reviewed Razavi's, but not thoroughly).

Any Ideas about a possible implementation???

Regards,
JL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…