Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Strong metal detector

Status
Not open for further replies.

salvazero

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I would like to make a metal detector strong enough to detect a piece of stainless steel tape in the cable that we make.
We make electronic/electric cable, for example, sometimes this cable is bad and from the 50,000 feet we make, we have to cut it 3 times (we call that splices) because cable had a cosmetic defect so we cut that part out, now, we solder these splices to make one single cable so we can put the final plastic cover to make it one single piece without setting it up 3 times because of the splices.
I was thinking to make the detecting coil around a 2" or 3" PVC pipe so the cable/wire goes through and it will be easy to detect. It has to be strong enough to detect a 1/4” inch tape with 0.004” thickness that we want to put around these splices so they can be detected, make a beep and turn a red light, connect it to an 110 volt.
It needs to detect on 18-8 stainless steel tape, no iron, no copper, no aluminum, no silver, no gold, There are so many tutorials to make one online but I need this one to be strong and able to detect it.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Considering that the cable is already constituided by metal on its compostition, your detector should be able to determine a differential variation in the EM field, so the threshold adjust aswell stability of analog circuitry could be an issue. In continous prodution processes, QC is better achieved by visual system sensors, although on this approach the sample rate should be another issue when dealing with high linear speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.