Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Strange cooling fan issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

userx2

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I have an interesting problem with cooling fans.

These are mains operated 150mm / 6" fans cooling fans of the normal shape.

There are 2 fans next to each other in a unit or our design.
There are a relatively large number of units failing in the field that have started overheating.
The problem is always solved by replacing the topmost fan.

However, testing a number of returned "faulty" fans has not revealed ANY problem with them, They operate as good as a new one, same rpm, airflow, noise pattern etc.
Even when heated to 70dC, no issues.

I am now wondering if there could be an issue where the airflow through the fan goes into a weird "mode" where it no longer flows but rather somehow just spins.

Is something like this possible?
I am not sure what else it could be unless these fans really become intermittent at some stage under some unknown condition.

Best Regards
X

Last edited:

There can be a problem if the fans are operated with high back pressure/low flow. The operation range is usually specified as unstable in fan datasheet.

Our unit is overheating due too little airflow from the fans. The fans are not overheating.
--- Updated ---

There can be a problem if the fans are operated with high back pressure/low flow. The operation range is usually specified as unstable in fan datasheet.
That is a very good point.
--- Updated ---

I can add that our design used a different fan before which was more noisy but wuith very similar specs. We had no failures then except for some noise complaints.
The fan in question is of the quiet blade design and is less noisy for about the same specs.
The blades are shaped differently.

Regards
X

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.