Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

STP or UTP cable plz help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehsanelahimirza

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi all

i m planing to build a network link with my friends near to my home

almost 200feet to 250 feet away from each other

i will use cat5e cable and a switch
i m confused what cable to use
STP or UTP

please give here comparison or benefits keeping the distance in mind

thanks

i use cat5e utp cable for 100 meters for internet and file shareing it work best.

tanveerriaz said:
i use cat5e utp cable for 100 meters for internet and file shareing it work best.
would u plz tell me the location where u r using also about the surroundings like how electric poles effect signals

i donot give any problem on line like electric pole effects .
my cable go the side of road and many side have a power cable near the utp cable. it about 10 feet abve ground hang into wall.

U should use a switch after 100 meter

Well, choosing the medium depends on the environment of installation; consider STP if the environment is rugged and prone to industrial noise effects, use repeaters at 180m segments (if you prefer 10Base2 cables)

what distance is possible between switch to switch and switch to PC and how much switches i can cascade

Added after 16 seconds:

what distance is possible between switch to switch and switch to PC and how much switches i can cascade if i m using UTP

i use baynet cable and use switch after 100 meters .

use UTP. STP don't increase the distance it protects u from emf.

if u use UTP, and do not use it in parallel with power cables (u can cross power cables perpendicularly), there is no harm.

Naveed

Status
Not open for further replies.