Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stm32f103T8C6 and 93C66 EEPROM

Status
Not open for further replies.

zip

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

being new with stm32 and all of it I would need little help on that matter.

I got Stm32f103T8C6 board and 93C66 EEPROM.
I would like to store some of my info on that eeprom.

From reading stm datasheet it seems that stm is 8bit oriented, so everything is done in multiples of 8 (is that correct).
Second, 93C66 says that for instructing it how to behave (read/write/erase....) I have to do opcodes in form of:
1 start bit
XY opcode
A9-A0 address

So if my stm works in multiple of 8 does it mean It cannot work with 93C66.

Also from doc:

Read
The Read Data from Memory (READ) instruction
outputs data on Serial Data Output (Q). When the
instruction is received, the op-code and address
are decoded, and the data from the memory is
transferred to an output shift register. A dummy 0
bit is output first, followed by the 8-bit byte or 16-
bit word, with the most significant bit first

If it first outputs dummy 0 and then 8 bit value .... that is 9 digits and I am 8 bit oriented, so again??:bang:

Here is the datasheet for eeprom https://www.jameco.com/Jameco/Products/ProdDS/200598ST.pdf

Could someone please clear it out??
Thanks in advance.

Hi,

When I read this, one important information is missing: what interface are you talking about.

So looking for datasheet, downloading, reading..

..microwire... I never used it. Has the ST built in microwire interface?
It seems to me the 8 bit and 16 bit given in the datasheet is internal organisation instead of interface bit count.
Both devices are from microchip, so (if st has microwire interface) I expect there should be application notes and code samples.
I often use SPI EEPROM like 25xx040. With SPI it is very common, that the interface transfer is in multiples of 8 bit.

Klaus

- - - Updated - - -

Hi,

Now I recognised the datasheet link, sorry for complaining ...

Jameco seems to be the distributor, ST is the manufacturer.

Klaus

So if my stm works in multiple of 8 does it mean It cannot work with 93C66.
As far as I understand, you are asking if a 93C66 EEPROM can be interfaced with a hardwire SPI master.

It should be possible utilizing the start bit in 93C66 command word, filling the sequence with leading zeros to a multiple of 8-bits. But I must admit that I always used bit banging for 93Cx6 interface on any microprocessor. So I never tried.

You probably find many 93Cx6 code examples using bit-banging, there should be no problem to port it to stm32.

Status
Not open for further replies.