Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[AVR] STK500V2 bootlaoder works once only for Atmega2560

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narendra1190

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all Embedded Genius!

I have downloaded STK500V2 bootloader from below link.
Link : https://github.com/joede/stk500v2-bootloader

I have changed makefile as per requirement as below.

MCU : atmega2560
BOOTLOADER_ADDRESS = 0x3F800 (as bootloader program is 1954 byte so selected bootloader address of 1024 word from datasheet Pg. No :322)

After Building the project. Flashed Hex file to Atmega2560 through USBASP programmer using ISP port.
Hfuse: 0xDC
Lfuse: 0xFF
Efuse:0xFF
Lockbits : 0x0F

When reset button is presesed, LED start blinking and stays ON as there is no application program loaded. It shows bootloader is always ready to flash application program.

Now, I can load Application program to flash memory using Serial port through avrdude commands at 115200 baud rate.
I am using AVRDUDESS application to load program by selecting programmer "ATMEL STK500 version 2x firmware" or "USBASP" as per requirement.
After loading first program to flash memory, I have to press reset button to make it work and It works fine.
I can load as many Application program when fresh bootloader is ready but without pressing reset button.
If i press reset button the last flased Application program comes in life.

I can not flash new application program now.
I have tried pressing reset button to confirm bootloader is running at first 3 seconds of power on.
led blinks 3 times as per bootloader program then it goes in to main application and run the main program.
The only way is to load new Application is " CHIP ERASE" through ISP port using USBASP and do same process again but work for once only everytime.

I think main program is corrupting/Overwriting bootloader program but wonder why LED blinks in correct way like bootloader is working well.
I have locked LPM and SPM memory to protect bootloader from overwriting by application program.(Lockbits : 0x0F as per datasheet Page No :

Thank you for Reading.
Experts suggestions and guidance are most welcome.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back