Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stepper motor not receiving pulse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuhin

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,

i am driving a stepper motor using AT89C52 . i have made the stepper motor driver card usnig power transistors(2N3055), driver transistors and diodes(IN4008)

my problem is that on switching on the power supply ,the stepper motor is not receiving the pulses from the microcontroller.

mine is a 12V , 0.675A/Phase 5kgf stepper motor.

i have checked the driver card and the power supplies separately and they are working fine.The motor is also OK.

As soon as i connect the 12V power supply and give vcc to the controller, The whole system stays in reset mode. i dunno why?? and the terminal to which i've attached the power supply (on the driver card) shows only 0.3V on checking with a multimeter(it should show around 12V)

i've connected the motor card with port pins 3.0,3.1,3.2,3.3. Ive simulated the program and tried it on other motors and the program is also working fine.

if i don't connect the stepper motor, all the other port pins work accordingly but as soon as i connect the motor to the port pins as mentioned above, the other port pins stay high on power on,i.e. i feel they are in reset mode.

i am an amateur and i am not able to find out the solution.

PLZ HELP AS THIS THING IS VERY IMPORTANT FOR MY FINAL YEAR COLLEGE PROJECT(deadlines are announced)

1. What kind of stepper motor are you using? Bipolar or unipolar.

2. Better use ULN2003 driver to drive the motors.

3. Search google for stepper motor configurations.

4. Post your schematic here.

Try this : use a dc motor from a 5 inch old floppy disk unit. 4 phase unipolar. It is very easy to drive. You can use any npn tansistors (like bc, bd) with diodes connected to cut the inverted electomagnetic field when motor it's switching off. Having in mind the order of phases, it's just a matter of 10 lines in assembler to complete the op.

Use darlington's like Tip122 with incorporated diode between collector and emitter to skip the diodes from the scheme.

Or you can test tour motor like this : put 5V on each phase (with ground respectivly to the common terminal of the motor) in the right order and check if it is rotating.

Other thing : Your power supply may not be able to source enough current to your driver card. Do some calculations and see what maximum current will be consumed. If you are using a AC 220V/12V transformer with AC->DC bridge check the maximum output current of the transformer(it's written on it).

My diploma project contained a stepper command so I will gladely help you in the future if you'll need it.

one thing i remembered while i was doing a project like this that in the software mod timing is very important i thing. because if u cant trigger precisiously that can make some fault.too fast trigger is also a problem.in which mode ur driving the motor?

post the schematic to find out where is the problem,
//a

i think I have an idea why, try this , put an interface using Optocoupler darlington 4N33 between the motor and the driver. the reason is electronic board do not operate on motors...

i don't know the exact positioin
but check the following thigs carefully
1. r u using 7805 with mcu?
2. if u r usimg 2N3055 u shuld'nt drive these alone.u have to use darlington pair. for this purpose you have to use at least 2S828 or 2S945 or 2S1383(if more power is needed)
with 2n 3055.

3. r u using diodes for avoiding the reverse current at the cullector of transistors.
any way if your circuit does.nt work , send me the schimatic at my private mail. i will see and then tell you

dear friend
the problem as i think is that your system doesnot supply enough current due to a fault of design or implementation
as a solution i think that using an opto copler is the best with the use of a high current regulator that also gives u protection to your controlller you will find the connection diagram attachedand a pdf file that includes an illustration of the motor kinds ,how to drive them and a program to the 8051 series to interface unipolar stepper motors
note this is really easy it worked with me from the first time

HI

USE H BRIDGE DRIVER LIKE L298

Hello u r using
2N3055 is NPN transistor u may trying to drive these transitors direct thru portlines
89c52 has no enough current soursing capacity, that may be reson that u are not getting result.

TRY USING PULL-UP RESISTOR FOR PORT LINES DRIVING STEPPER MOTOR.
THE RESISTOR VALUE CAN IN RANGE 300-250 OHMS.

ALL THE BEST
--BABESH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back