Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stepper motor controller with 555

Status
Not open for further replies.

debasisswan

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I am a novice and new in the field. I was looking for a simple circuit to control stepper motors salvaged form old hard Disc Drives. Got the one attached. With a little bit of Googling, I could find out that this 78L05 used here is not exactly common 7805. My question is - Can I replace this 78L05 witha common 7805?
My next question is, the heart of this circuit is a 555-1. Is this the same comon 555 IC? May I replace this 555-1 IC with common 555 IC to build this project?

In case anyone have any other small but easy to build stepper motor controller with simple components, please give me link or share.

Thanks a lot in advance-
Debasis

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 338

You can replace the 78L05 with a 7805, it's physically bigger and can handle more current but does the same job electrically.

The TE555-1 is NOT the same as a common NE555, it's a completely different device and is not at all compatible.

You might have trouble using this with a disk drive motor. It depends on the motor itself, it has to be a type with four drive inputs which are all connected to coils then combine to a common fifth pin. The common pin would be connected to the 12V supply. Most drive motors are wired in a bridge configuaration where the current is switched between forward and reverse, this design can't do thet.

Brian.

The following is an example of a stepper motor tester utilizing a 555 timer and CD4013 flip flops.

Whether or not this design will offer a solution for your requirements depends on the specific type of stepper motor for the reasons previously stated by betwixt.

BigDog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back