Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stepper motor and load

Status
Not open for further replies.

Element7k

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
stepper motor conveyor belt

Dear all,

I am trying to use a stepper motor to drive a load. (E.g. a conveyer belt) I am interested in finding out how much torque is required from my stepper motor if I have put a load of about 3 kg on the converyer belt and allow the rotation of the motor to move it about 2m away from it starting point. (any formulars?)The data sheet on my stepper motor states the torque available is 300gm/cm at the max pulse rate of 700 pps. Is there anyway to determine if the motor will turn when the load is on?

Thanks.

Rgds,
E7k

stepper motor for conveyor belt

torque range is an mechanical tool used to do what you are trying but its kind of expensive. I have an idea in mind may be it would work.

Attach an arm with the conveyor roller or pulley. See figure.

First put your 3kg load on conveyor belt. Than increase the weights starting from few grams until the arm is turned. That will be your threshold torque to start the rotation. and will be the maximum torque required.

Use relation
Torque(T) = Force(F) x Distance(r).
And the unit you`ve posted is gm-cm not gm/cm

Try it!

stepper motor moving the belt

Apart from the question how torques are calculated (a high school physics text book knows, wikipedia too), you should simply assume, that a small stepper motor without a gear (it's 300 gcm rather than 300 g/cm, but a small motor anyway) can't drive your apparature. But you should perform the suggested measurement to see yourself.

Element7k

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
conveyor belt stepper motor

U have to consider the Pulley friction & conveyor belt tension as well

belt for stepper motor

hameeds01 said:
U have to consider the Pulley friction & conveyor belt tension as well

Yes. But the friction is added in the resultant armature torque because motor will also be coupled to the same pulley from which the calculations are made.

Element7k

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Element7k said:
Dear all,

I am trying to use a stepper motor to drive a load. (E.g. a conveyer belt) I am interested in finding out how much torque is required from my stepper motor if I have put a load of about 3 kg on the converyer belt and allow the rotation of the motor to move it about 2m away from it starting point. (any formulars?)The data sheet on my stepper motor states the torque available is 300gm/cm at the max pulse rate of 700 pps. Is there anyway to determine if the motor will turn when the load is on?

Thanks.

Rgds,
E7k
hello gud day.
i am new to stepper motor and RF technology, can you help or give me a schematic diagram of your controlled stepper motor? coz i am planning to control our room dividers or curtain using stepper motor and RF, in other words, i will wirelessly control our curtain using RF and stepper motor.
thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back