Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SSR with clicking sound

senmeis

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

compared with EMR, SSR is well known for its silent contact when activated. I’ve just bought an H3Y-2 from Omron. There is a clicking sound when the timer elapses and the relay is activated but Omron claims it is an SSR. What’s wrong?

Says its compatible with this relay :

And this is what H3Y's internal contacts can switch

1709559583418.png

Regards, Dana.

It's a solid-state TIMER, not a solid-state relay. I suspect there's a mechanical relay connected to a solid-state (i.e. non-mechanical) timer circuit.

I think you’re right. It’s a solid state timer not a solid state relay. Could you please recommend an two channel SSR with 230V AC inputs?

Could you please recommend an two channel SSR with 230V AC inputs?
No requirements about the output? Quite unusual.

I`d try a selection tool either at a distributor (like farnell) or directly at a manufacturer of your choice. Then you immediately get other informations like availability and price.

Klaus

Firstly, this is a DC controlled relay. Secondly, I’d like the traditional behavior, that is, the switch can be connected with one pole or the other pole, just like the attached diagram. I suppose all the SSRs can only be connected or not connected so the attached diagram is not possible. Am I right?
em-relay.JPG

> "the SSRs can only be connected or not connected so the attached diagram is not possible. Am I right?"

No, It is possible.

Pins 9 & 12 are double poles.
1,5 & 4,8 are double throws.
This is abbreviated as 2P2T with an AC actuator coil on 13,14 meaning either DC polarity or AC using shaded poles.

SSR's can easily share triggers normally by RF C coupling or optocoupling.

Some have wait until next ZCS triggers.

Take note of correct descriptions.

Last edited:
Yes, the attached diagram refers to a 2P2T relay. I have found the following description from
https://hackaday.com/2017/09/26/an-introduction-to-solid-state-relays/:

Due to the internal construction of SSRs, they are only available in a single-pole, single throw (SPST) configuration. Single pole means that it can only control a single circuit, and single throw means that there are only two positions the switch can be in (one on, and one off state). Mechanical relays do not have this limitation and are available with multiple poles and throws.

This statement confirms my suspect somehow. I think this limit results from the power semiconductor characteristics.

Yes, the attached diagram refers to a 2P2T relay. I have found the following description from
https://hackaday.com/2017/09/26/an-introduction-to-solid-state-relays/:

Due to the internal construction of SSRs, they are only available in a single-pole, single throw (SPST) configuration. Single pole means that it can only control a single circuit, and single throw means that there are only two positions the switch can be in (one on, and one off state). Mechanical relays do not have this limitation and are available with multiple poles and throws.

This statement confirms my suspect somehow. I think this limit results from the power semiconductor characteristics.

SPDT (or "form C") SSRs are most certainly available. (Just do a search for "SPDT SSR")

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: