Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

square wave to sine wave

Status
Not open for further replies.

The74namesofgod

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i dont understand anthing so please make it simple. i have a square wave and i need to make it to a sine wave. its 250 v 20000 watts

20 min later

o yeah its 1-100 KHz

100 khz sine-wave oscillator

How about a band pass filter

round off square wave

A twenty kilowatt bandpass filter with 100:1 tuning range? Wow, show us how!

change square wave to sine wave power filter

maybe i should say the 1-100 kHz is what the square wave will be and can i even change the square to a sine at 20000 watts or am i dreaming

Very tall order, especially at this sort of power. What are you driving?. If it is inductive, it may just round off the edges a bit, enough to be usable. I would personally be a bit wary of experimenting at such high power levels, such a wide range would be very difficult.

A low-pass or bandpass filter could remove the high-frequency components of a quare-wave and give you a sinewave, and a high-power filter is achievable, but the widely variable frequency part seems like a major complication.

Just a wild guess . . . Instead of that approach, maybe you could modify the square wave oscillator into a pulse-width modulator like in a high-power class-D (switching) audio amplifier. The output filter would be a lot simpler (but still nasty at 20kW).

Either way, that's a lot of dangerous power to be fooling around with!

it is inductive but this is the olny part that is a circuit. i dont know if it will work but i have to find out and i wont take anyones word for it. i have to try it my self. i can can change the frequency down .0000001 Hz and up to 100 KHz. i could just pick a frequency and stay with it but i want some range. maybe something like 32 KHz i think i could live with that if i have to pick a frequency. also i must use this crazy amount of power.

At a power as such, maybe an expert opinion would be desired. There seem to be too many unknowns, like is there a chance this could inject harmonics into the grid? If so, fines may be incurred. The obvious answer is a filter, but I doubt your average engineer or hobbyist has ever designed a practical filter for such a power.

the square wave modulator is not like a modulator its mechanical

2 min later

o yes your thing about the grid i am using a generator

the square wave modulator is not like a modulator its mechanical
You mean the 100 kHz square wave is sourced from a mechanical modulator?

Now this is a real mean problem :)
Square wave is fundamental tone plus odd overtones, i.e. 3, 5 7... These will contain several kW and if you go for a simple lowpass (or bandpass filter) the power will reflect back into your generator. Maybe you need to have a di-plexer, i.e. a highpass/lowpass filter and then terminate unwanted energy. If you just want to filter the signal, do look at a bandpass filter, as it may give better supression vs. lpf with same order.

In case of LF and without km of power distribution cable, one would normally analyse the harmonics as apparent rather than reflected power. It's not like a RF power generator that possibly needs a circulator and a absorber to protect against reflected power. E. g. in a FET inverter, the power would simply flows back to the bus, causing minor losses in the power switches.

what if there is transformers and diodes right before the squre wave modulator dose that make a differents with the feed back or if a dobble up my transformers to make more separation from the generator. thanks for all your input you guys really gave it your best shot and sorrie about the hard question. i might have to think of a dirrerent way maybe change the squre wave modulator

like i said befor i dont understand anything so this might sound like a stupid question but do i even need to change it to a sine wave its for an inducter

thanks again

How 'bout converting your 250V sq-wave into DC, then generate the sine wave. I've seen HUGE UPS systems that do something similar, although at a fixed frequency.

What if we did away with the power requirement, and shorten the bandwidth to 20 kHz. Any suggestions?

For example, using a relaxtion oscillator with a pot in the feedback. Then feeding this signal into an amplifier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back