Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Square wave from sine -- high stability

Status
Not open for further replies.

mekpeacenfood

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
lpro-101

Hi, we have a very accurate sine wave source that we'd like to use to sync our whole apparatus with. However, not all components take a sine input--some use a trigger port and want a square wave.

What is the best way to convert a very clean 10 MHz sine wave to a square wave? As a complication, it will need to drive 50 ohms ~1V.

It seems like such a common task--surely everything from oscilloscopes to timing standards themselves need this. What is the accepted strategy? Is a schmitt trigger alone enough, or will phase jitter still be more than a couple ns? If so, what can I add to "take it to the next level"?

square wave to sine

A fast comparator would be the usual solution.

square wave comparator

I wouldn't use a comparator unless timing is not critical! The slightest voltage noise at the comparator threshold will turn into clock phase noise.

I would make sure the sine wave is big (linearly amplify), and then either clip it at ground and +Vcc with very fast schottky diodes, and then buffer with a very fast (1 ghz) CMOS gate.

You might get away with just driving the sine wave, AC coupled, into the appropriate gate--without the diode clipping. sn74lvc1g17dbvr looks like a good one to use.

clipped sine to square wave

The suggestion should be verified by comparing real device data. I assume, that the said very accurate sine wave has a sufficient amplitude anyway. In this case I insist on my opinion, that a fast comparator (as ADCMP551 or similar) promises the best performance in most cases. Fast CMOS gates or LVDS receiver can be also used, but a less exactly defined threshold and higher temperature dependency of treshold voltage and delay may be a disadvantage.

lpro 101 manual

In my opinion the lowest jitter circuits are proposed by atomic clock manufactures.

Take a look pag 17 of the following doc
**broken link removed** ( or google "LPRO User Manual")

You have to pay attention not only to phase noise and jiiter; drift is also important.
In order to minimize drift, the circuit board should be electrically short as possible and thermostatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.