Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Specifications of my DSP lab!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eltonjohn

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
MY DSP LAB!

Is almost READY now .! .. I needed a DSP TEACHING enviroment
Where i could COMPARE .DSP cpu's and FPGA implementations
i decided to use XILINX and Ti 6000 tools BECAUSE they INTERFACE very nice with MATLAB ..
After so many compability problemes THIS MORNING all is working
here are MY LAB TOOLS

MATLAB 13 & SIMULINK 5.0
XILINX ISE 6.1
Xilinx SysgenEval6.1 ( core GENERATOR)
Ti's CODECOMPOSER STUDIO 6000 2.1
Tis's DSK6000 DSP evaluation BOARD ~$400
Systemview By ELANIX

a lot of coffe and Chocolate tablets

my first project will be to compare implementations of a GRAPHIC equalizer for audio applications!
a second will be to study Spectrum Analisis in both methodologies

I'm looking for
the ANSI code GENERATOR from Adaptlib
Th M-link option for Systemview
the DSP and Logic LIbraries for SytemView

Re: MY DSP LAB!

Hi eltonjohn,

I am experienced Matlab user but don't have big experience in the implementation of the DSP algorithms with DSProcessors. But I am not new in the firmware ... have several firmware projects.

I was also wandering if the algorithms can be developed in Matlab/Simulink and than targeted to the real hardware. It seems that you already know much more in this respect. Can you share with me if this kind of working works well for you. Is the C code generated by the Matlab RTW good/optimal enough? Is the matlab link to CCS useful. And what is you opinion about Xilinx integration in this DSP lab. Do you use jtag emulator or just the RTOS provided from TI and CCS.

Thank you in advance!
Dora

HI Dora :

Listen FRIEND i can't answer you right now on the details of the code PRODUCED by RTW .. I haven't started EVALUATION yet ,, But i'm very happy with my set-up I have done several examples with simulink ..and all compile and download to my c6000DSK board .. and execute very nice.But certainly i will keep you posted on the subject ,,
Simulink's RTW produces a block of C code for each FUNCTION .. I need to see exactly how that's done and the quality of the code PRODUCED..
But i can say that the interface of MATLAB and CODECOMPOSER is very good
I'm waiting right now for the latest revisions of Codecomposer .and Ise6.2
You see my interest is to synthetize software and hardware versions of examples and analyse the price and requirements of FPGA and DSP approachs in both the high END c6000 and low end C2000 cpus .
So i'll keep you posted ..

Hi eltonjohn,

Thank you for the response!

I am going to go your way and try matlab + CCS.
I am targeting the relatively low cost fixed point DSP c5509
most probably. My current application is fingerprint recognition.

Still dont have Started KIT but I am going to create small board
- probably only DSP on it + eventually some memory

I am interested in DSP implementation on CPLD/FPGA but think that it is currently not suitable for my project. If you got some conclusions please let me know.

So, most probably we will be able to share some ideas during the way

If you have some problem (especially some DSP theory problem) I will be happy to try to help you!

Dora

HELL BROKE LOOSE!

I TRIED to MIGRATE from CCS 2.1 to 2.21 and all HELL BROKE LOOSE!

MATLAB's EMBEDDED target for TI C6000 can't somehow find the API BIOS ! ..then i tried to get some IDEA of the PROBLEM in their support site .AND DOWNLOADED patches .. NOW NOTHING WORKS .. what a PAIN !
These two companies Mathworks and TI are coming up with new products revisions .. and there is no sync on the the compability among them !.. The support sites are getting now full of questions .. bewteen all the diferent combinations of their two products ....

If I add more variables .. like INTEGRATION of Sysgen and the NEW ISE6.2i with matlab
BOY ..i will be facing an exploding combination of POSSIBILITIES of problems.....!!!
WHAT A MESS!
Any ideas on how deal with this !

Hmm

so the combination is R13 + CCS 2.1 is working

Eltonjohn, in R13 the CCS link ver 1.0 is included
the current Matlab CCS link is 1.3 (included in R13sp1)

Probably they have fixed some problems recently ...

Actually what is the official opinion of the mathworks?

regards
dora

Ok i got almost all working!

ISE 6.2i works better with MATLAB and simulink toolkits and
I also downloaded the sysgenEval6_1 . Is only for 60 days demo .But i don't understand i erased the old installation and this new one start afresh 60 days ..! ..Ummmmm may be ...
Now i'm about to try codecomposer 2.21 ..and MATLAB and run some examples in the C6711dsk board ...
Ok i'm getting there ..

I also added vissim .. This is a great SOFT to quickly do mathematical MODELING ... the only thing It only produces code for the c2000 .
No FPGA's I really like that thing! Well probably in the future!

HI dora

all works now .But i had to revert to ccs2.1
i added chipscope 6.2 ..and a new FPGA board VIRTEX II pro LC from Memec with an adc adquisition daughter board P160 format..

I wanted to announce that memec has a those FPGA boards on sale for $149 + free atendance to a seminar coming near you.

I think that this is the BEST and cheapest FPGA board on the market

Next Step is to get a good library of DSP IP's

hi eltonjohn
is this model DS-KIT-2VP4LC-NE ?
how you bargin that price? 149 eu$ or us$? the list price is 195 us$.
they also have a cheap Spartan-3 evb, 175 us$.

rdgs

HI FRANKFAN
I don't know if they have this seminar thing going on in europe
but it turns out that in the US you can get that board that you mentioned for
$149 if you attend the seminar!

Here is the INFO :
**broken link removed**

cheers

I just Added a new Tool to may lab .AccelFPGA .. this tool is great
Is very similar to SYSTEM GENERATOR ,... they claim that is BETTER ...
is very clean otherwise it creates testbenches for MODELSIM .. It look much more straightfoward

Hello All,

I would like to inform you that Mathworks is about to announce the new
Matlab 7 and Simulink 6. Most probably they will generate new release.

The important (for us) new feature in this release is 'Link for ModelSim'
Please check **broken link removed**

cheers!
Dora

MY DSP LAB!

You can see this link. it's useful for DSP simulink:
**broken link removed**

Hi all, I have just recently used the combination of CCStudio and Matlab/Simulink. I would like to say it's realy amazing. I created my model in Simulink and ... I have my almost perfect C code in CCstudio running. It's almost efficient but sometimes it does some strange thing. If you design your Simulink model properly you will have much more readable code due it's readable enough since it will add comments for each block conversion. There are so many user setting that you can costomize your code generation.
The bad thing is that it does not create the application based on DSP BIOS II which is my target RTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back