Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Spartan 3 JTAG program fail.. everytime!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jelydonut

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
3.3v jtag chain spartan 3

Everytime I try to program the Spartan3 (200) It always says that the DONE pin did not go high. I tried different pullup values on it but regardless it does not seem to make a difference.

As it was.. at first I had to pull the XCF02 off of the board because everytime I attempted to scan the boundary it would give me different number of devices and would not recognize the device type (the spartan3 always was detected correctly however). Not just that when i tried to program the prom with the mcs file it always gave the error about the 1st bit being incorrect.

also.. i've been using the parallel III which i know would give problems with the spartan3 (i think) but the prom shouldn't be a issue if its the only thing on the scan chain.

anways.. any ideas would be appriciated.

jelydonut

spartan 3 an jtag

HI Jellydonut .. I had a similar problem with a VIRTEX 2 Pro and my laptop .. And my cableIII then i connected to another PC and it worked again .. So i decided that the problem had to come from the cableIII , I'm about to buy a CABLEIV ... I was afraid that i had fried something .but i had 4 boards and all behaved the same .. ( all brand new )
There are companies advertising for compatible cableIII but for low voltage for about $20
Maybe is the same for you .!

jtag fail

Are you using iMPACT? A recent version?

Is your problem specific to Spartan 3? Can you program other type devices ok?

I use WinXP, iMPACT 6.1.03i, Parallel Cable IV, and Virtex 2.

spartan 3 parallel-iii

Am using the latest 6.2.03i.. Did find out though that if i try to program the prom with the parallel III with VCC being 3.3v then it doesn't work at all.. when i tie VCC to 5v not only does it properly detect the prom but also programs it.. so now am reworking the board to remove the spartan3 out of the scan chain so i can program the prom with 5v.. opened the parallel III and it happens to use HC parts.. which could be the issue.. will try replacing them with LV and see if that makes any difference.

jelydonut

jtag du fail

Hmmm. You may find these helpful:

Schematic of the Parallel Cable III:
**broken link removed**

Voltage capability of the Parallel Cable III:
**broken link removed**

spartan3 jtag cable

Well it has to be a issue with the parallel III cable. Cause at 3.3v it programs my virtexE with no issues.. but not the prom.. i guess i'll just hafta break down and get a parallel IV..

jelydonut

spartan 3 jtag problem

This people sell a cheap Jtag cableIII for low voltage for just $18.95 + $5 + $7 UPS
**broken link removed**
you have to order the JTAG3-LV .. wich basically is a cable III with LV logic instead of the HC ..

well i have no use for my cableIII . So i think that i will replace the chips

epp programing in xilinx

This definitely sound like your parallel port. Some PC doesn't have nice voltage and buffers on their parallel ports.

I made some parallel port projects at home (not FPGA related though) and some worked on a PC, and not on my laptop. However, by adding a simple buffer (like one usually found on a real parallel-III interface), it worked without problem.

jtag3 lv schematic

Please check the TCK's signal quality in your PCB, some problem was caused by it. Recently, when I config the Virtex II pro with the Cable III,
I met the same question, too.

jtag program fail

Have you ever tried to change your LPT mode in the setup ; I have similar problem with D!g!lenet board and the problem was solved by converting the mode of the PC LPT from SPP to ECP

j-tag program

has anyone try using a docking station via a usb port to configure the xilinx.
usb->docking station->paralle output-> jTag cable-
i alway dont seem to get the Impact to detect the device.
Anyone has solution

jtag spp mode

meemee2 i had the same idea .. to get a docking station for my laptop . Because it could also be that Laptop ports wheather they are in bidireccional or SPP ECP etc .. they may not always be very compatibe . I my first post i said that the OPTION cableIII + LAPTOP serial port won't work .. and it does in my othe desktop computer . But for all regards i think is better jut to go to cableIV altogether. I not very expensive ,a dock station migh have the same problems I purchase one some time ago and the very parallel port is now not working any more

spartan 3 parallel cable iii

but will it still work if it connect the cable4 thur the docking station. as i only have usb port on my labtop. or is there any other soultion....
cheer...

why jtag fails

What about using a PCMCIA card. cause there a univarsial type!

xilinx spartan 3 jtag debugging

how to converting the mode of the PC LPT from SPP to ECP ? or will EPP (Enhanced Parallel Port) communication work well?

jtag parallel fail

have check the spec for the parallel port on the docking station, it IEEE 1284, bidirectional parallel interface.,
so what other problem could it be? or should i try the parallel cable4 from xilinx? or it the cable 3 not compliant?

how does jtag detect the proms on the board

Also check the startup sequence in de bitstream generator (bitgen). There are options where the final startup (release of DONE) can be delayed according to user-selected clocks and so on. You also need to generate several extra TCK JTAG clock cycles after the final bitstream bit is in. But if you use the Impact programmer this should be OK.

The startup sequence can be checked in the properties of the "generate bitstream" flow process.

jtag fail during xilinx program

The JTAG interface on Spartan III works with VCCAUX which is 2.5V, and Parallel III does not do 2.5V programming. some special method must be used to do 3.3V with Spartan III, which is described in Xilinx web site in the XAPPs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back