Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Spartan-3 FPGA board Input and output question

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajat25690

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
spartan-3 fpga input

Hi everyone,

I am using the Spartan-3 FPGA board. I require to send a series of inputs to the pipelined circuit implemented in the FPGA and correspondingly, get a series of outputs from the FPGA. I need to send the inputs from the computer to the FPGA at each clock cycle and get the outputs and store it in the computer memory. How do I do this?

communicate spartan-3 with computer

I did so using serial interface, it is the easiest.

using serial interface of matlab will give you strong abilities of output processing.

enjoy.

Re: Spartan-3 Input?

hi,

thanks for your reply. can we use the jtag usb cable of the fpga to do this or do we need to use the serial port on the fpga board? also, is there some standard module that i can use to send inputs and receive outputs to and from the computer respectively?

hi

there is some xilinx cores which could help you , as vio ( virtual input output), but I didn't try it yet.

the advantege of serial is that it is an easy code.

choose the one that suits you.

U could connect the FPGA board to the PC using serial/RS-232 interface. U would have to implement a UART on ur FPGA. (Assuming ur FPGA board has a DB9 connector and a level translator on it) and interface the UART with ur pipelined circuitry.

After implementing UART u can communicate from the PC using Hyper Terminal or other such software if ur working on windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back