Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sound playback using microcontroller (PIC16F877???)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pantner

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello All!

Ok, so looking to make a playback device using a PIC microcontroller. The PIC16F877(A) maybe? (found that after some google'ing...read some posts on here, but the threads either died before anything happened or it was over my head to understand it)

I know very little about this sort of electronics but am pretty good with basic things. (ie, can solder, etc)

So, I would like it to play ~3 sounds, either on a single loop or separate loop (ie, one plays every 5 seconds, one every 10 and the other every 15)

i found this program which looks like it could help me
BTc Sound Encoder v3.0 - free sound software

This is going to be used for sounds on a Model Train layout (ie, industry...welding, saws, that sorta thing) it is not going to be used for voice and will be mostly 'set and forget'. I won't be changing sounds every 10 minutes.

So, firstly where can i find more (basic) information about how to program these PIC chips.
Is this controller going to do what i want? If not, suggest something (I can get the PIC18F4550 if that is better????)
and can i have a rough idea of where to start from? (i don't want all the information handed to me, mostly just need a few pointers and that sorta thing)

Thanks for reading!

Thanks for the link :)
Definately looks like what i want, but i have no idea about the programming...And i have not been able to find that controller to purchase, not sure what else i can use instead????

I have done some more searching today and found this which i can control with a PICAXE

**broken link removed**

while hardware wise its a little more complicated then what you linked to and more expensive, programming wise i think its easier for me (ie, im sending play, stop, volume+, volume- commands to it and not having to program reading a FAT file system)

and then go for this controller as i can easially get it locally

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.