Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Some problems about the frequency and the amplitude of the triangular wave

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockman139

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have tested my triangular wave generator on the bread board according to the schematic below, but I have some problems and I don't know what is happening.
schematic.jpg

The amplitude of the triangular wave should be calculated like this:
2×(R1/R2)×Vcc=2×50k/100k×12=12V

The frequency of the triangular wave should be calculated as below:
R2/(4×R1×R3×C)=100K/(4×50k×39.2k×10n)=1275Hz

However, I can't get these results.
Triangular wave.jpg

I switched the observed amplitude to 1 and the time to be 0.5ms as the picture showed.
Waveform.jpg

Vertically, the triangular wave just occupied a little more than one slot, hence the amplitude is 1.4V
horizontally, it occupied 2 slots, hence the time is 2×0.5=1ms, the frequency is 1000Hz.
Is it any problem with the selection of R1, R2 and R3? What values of the resistance should I choose?
And the results are so different to the theoretical calculations. Can anybody help me? Please!

Did you make sure your oscilloscope probe is not a 10:1 (attenuates signal 10 times)?
For the frequency, what is the tolerance of your resistors and capacitors? Capacitors can have a tolerance of 20%, while for resistors it is commonly 5% or 1%.
If your capacitor has a larger value, you can get lower frequency. Reduce the value of the capacitor or R3 to get frequency closer to what you want. Or use a semiadjustable resistor instead of R3.

Regards,
Nicolae

I get 1.27 kHz in a simulation. I started with the triangle wave generator which comes with the program, then inserted your component values.
The result is similar to your theoretical value.

8020476300_1362809780.png

As Nick_F suggests, it is likely that your capacitor value is at the high end of the typical 20% tolerance.

By the way, I don't know how your simulator depicts a negative supply, but your V2 is labelled -12V, yet the icon shows a positive polarity going to the 741's negative supply terminal. This may or may not be a problem.

Hi Brad,

His circuit is ok, you can notice the value -12V in front of that power supply. If the minus were at the top, then the voltage should have been +12V.

Regards,
Nicolae

Dear Nicolae

Thanks for your reply. I think it should be the problem of the oscilloscope probe because I don't know there is a specification of 10:1 and 1:1. I will go the lab and have a check. And thanks for told me the knowledge about the tolerance of the resistor and capacitor.

Regards

- - - Updated - - -

Hi BradtheRad,

Thanks for your simulation.:D
Now I confirm that my schematic is correct.
By the way, what is your simulation software? There is only PSpice in my university's lab and I don't think it is convenient to use.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back