Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Soldering 20 awg solid wire to brass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobAinscough

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is it possible with standard 780 Watt soldering gun? I recall reading about using silver solder but that seems to be more for brass tubing.

Thoughts?

Cheers, Rob.

Done it often w/ 60/40 Pb/Sn, it wets fine as
long as you clean it bright first. Bond seems
as strong as solder-copper. For mechanical
strength, silver solder and (mini-) torch
would be superior.

Excellent, what do you usually clean the contact area with? Sandpaper, wire brush?

Cheers, Rob.

Fine grit sandpaper or steel wool.

I use silver solder occasionally to join narrow pieces, where strength is needed. Such as brass-plated eyeglass frames.

Is it possible with standard 780 Watt soldering gun?

I remember Murphy's law: don't force it, use a bigger hammer.

If the wire is also brass, and the plate is relatively thin, you can use a regular solder and a regular soldering iron.

If the surfaces are not shining clean, use a sandpaper to prepare the surface. You can also use some more aggressive flux (ZnCl2 based).

For hard solder, you need a torch. The mechanical strength also depends on the contact area covered with solder.

Both leaded and unleaded solder should work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back