Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Solder flaking and crumbling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smarty88

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I've been soldering for over 30 years and not experienced this problem before, bought some solder from ebay 60 tin/38 lead / 2 resin flux. also have another composition 63/37 supposedly with flux also. every time I add the solder to heated component and pcb pad it simply turns into flakes. no matter what temperature I cannot get the solder to pool successfully each time instead it crumbles and flakes away. My iron is set at 370c however I have tried lower (will not melt) and higher to about 400c with same issue. It's very frustrating and I cannot seem to find a replicate of this problem on any searches. I've wasted countless hours and components now trying to get this solder (from ebay) to work without success. Photos attached. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks !

Hi,

Solder with flux is made a small solder tube filled with flux.

It seems your flux contains humidity/water.

--> throw it away, buy a new, high quality one. Sorry.

Klaus

Hi,

Solder with flux is made a small solder tube filled with flux.

It seems your flux contains humidity/water.

--> throw it away, buy a new, high quality one. Sorry.

Klaus

Thanks Klaus, I appreciate your reply. I have tried to clean the component with flux prior, an the PCB i use is already tinned so it makes sense that there is most likely an issue with the cheap solder I have purchased. Appreciate your reply!

My iron is set at 370c however I have tried lower (will not melt) and higher to about 400c with same issue.

All modern solder will happily melt around 300C and if you experience problem even at 400C, then there is some real problem with the solder.

Flux is a reducing agent and should not be included in the composition - as you say 60 tin/38 lead / 2 resin flux- it disappears afterwards. Your solder is of poor quality and is best discarded. By the way, did you try using extra external flux (we get in small packs)?

All modern solder will happily melt around 300C and if you experience problem even at 400C, then there is some real problem with the solder.

Flux is a reducing agent and should not be included in the composition - as you say 60 tin/38 lead / 2 resin flux- it disappears afterwards. Your solder is of poor quality and is best discarded. By the way, did you try using extra external flux (we get in small packs)?

Thanks so much, yes I have tried cleaning the component with flux prior and along with previous reply have concluded the cheaply purchased solder is of bad quality. I have a more expensive solder which works fine with or without additional flux, as soon as this solder is added to any existing or new join it all goes bad. I've marked the thread as solved. Cheers! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.