Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Soft silicone burnproof power cable for TS100 soldering iron, any available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neazoi

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I am looking to improve the power cable for a TS100 soldering iron and I have found this video https://youtu.be/sDMhh3p2nuM?t=23m27s which mentions a soft silicone burnproof power cable.

Soft, so that it won't drag away the iron but also more convenient in use.
Burnproof, because the iron is so lightweight so that it can accidentally touch the power cable and burn it.

The iron draws 65W at 24V maximum, so the cable needs to withstand a minimum of 2.7A.
At the same time it must not be too thick, so as to be conveniend to move the iron.

What size of internal diameter (copper) should I look for and are there any such cables out there?

I got any kind of cables through **broken link removed**. They have all type of wires at reasonable prices. I am sure you 'll got from them.

Hi,

some points:
* the copper needs to be thick enough not to burn. Look at least for 0.25 mm^2
* you need to decide what max. voltage drop you want. Maybe max. 1.0V. 1.0V at 2.7A means 0.37 Ohms. Now it depends on length of wire: 1m of 0.25^2mm cable has about 2 x 70mOhms = 140 mOhms of resistance. So it´s good for 2.6m cable length.
* it must be very flexible.
* it shouldn´t be too thick (over all)
* it should be chemical resistant (flux, especially)
* maybe it should be shielded ..
* maybe it should be electrostatically dissipative. (ESD compliant)

Klaus

Reactions: neazoi

neazoi

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back