Not open for further replies.

Okada

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

I am designing a Half Wave Controlled Rectifier and I am using a RL load. I have to design a RC snubber for the circuit. My AC input to SCR is 24V 50Hz. I am referring page no. 807 of Power Electronics book by Kanchandani.

It shows RC snubber calculation for AC circuits. Should I use the two equations given in that book ?

equations namely

R = 26 * sqrt(L/C)

C = C = (1/2L)((0.564 * Em)/(dv/dt))^2

My L value is 50mH in RL load.

So, can I use above equations to calculate C and R values for RC snubber ?

It mentions Em as peak line to line voltage. What value should I take for Em ? 24V ?

- - - Updated - - -

I am referring page nos. 807 to 811 of Kanchandani's book Power Electronics. The student has to submit the project in 2 days. Please mention if I have to use above equations for RC snubber calculation.

Your inductive load is likely to introduce power factor error. Therefore you may need to install a certain value of capacitor somewhere. The aim is to avoid pulling current through devices that are supposed to be shut off.

Does that mean I can use the equations mentioned in post 1 to design the RC snubber ? I will assume Cs to be 0.1uF and I will calculate Rs using

Rs = 26 * sqrt(L / C)

Rs = 26 * sqrt(50mH / 0.1uF)

Rs = 26 * 707.16

Rs = 18384.77

Rs = 18k

Can I use these values for the RC snubber ?

Rs = 18k
Cs = 0.1uF

?

Status
Not open for further replies.