Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Smallest header needed to support PCB vertically above main PCB

Status
Not open for further replies.

cupoftea

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
We are just womdering if the attached 72way header will be enough to support this PCB vertically?...(into the corresponding mating housing)
Whats the lowest contact number we can get away with here?.....electrically we only need some 12 contacts.

Its a 30W non-isol flyback SMPS with ETD29 transformer.

72way header
https://www.digikey.co.uk/en/produc...?s=N4IgTCBcDaIOxwMwEY4FoAcAGALGuYANgGYgC6AvkA

72way housing (for main PCB)
https://www.digikey.co.uk/en/products/detail/sullins-connector-solutions/PPPC361LFBN-RC/810208

ETD29 transformer

i don't think connectors should be used as structural members.
that's what standoffs, boxes, brackets, etc are for.

if you use something like that 72 pin header, are you cantilevering the PWB?
or will there be two rows of that header, like a DIP IC?

i can only assume the transformer will be mounted on the board supported by the 72 pin header.

without more information on what you're thinking, i think this is a nightmare waiting to break

Thanks, yes, woops the 72way header was not attached..please find it here

if you use something like that 72 pin header, are you cantilevering the PWB?
or will there be two rows of that header, like a DIP IC?
...Thanks, no its just the connector itself....good idea about having connectors either side......i may put in a 72way dual row footprint...then put a 20way either end on one side of the PCB....and a 20 way in the middle on the other side of the pcb....do you think that will suffice?.........then only solder the sockets in with the pcb inserted (so as to avoid solder hole position tolerances)
--- Updated ---

So, as such , we wonder if the attached will be ok?….its three dual row 20way headers …1 and 3 facing one way on the PCB …and 2 facing the other way…..what do you think?....enough stability for prototype?

Attachments

• 72WAY.jpg
    72WAY.jpg
    491.8 KB · Views: 108
  • 72WAY THREE HEADERS.jpg
    72WAY THREE HEADERS.jpg
    516.9 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.