Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Small ac motor(universal) controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

neddie

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi to all.
I'm busy looking at controlling a small ac motor. The type you would find in a oven for instance. I think they are universal motors.
The methodology I'm using is: Detect zero crossing of mains , and then after some pre-determined time fire the triac via opto triac(moc3023 I think)
The motor will then see the portion of the waveform , up until the zero crossing again when current flow stops. The cct and firmware seem to work
OK considering the simplicity.The control range is not huge , but usable.
I have looked at another circuit that is doing the same thing , but they are doing something weird , which I'm hoping someone can shed some light on.
After the zero crossing they also wait some time before firing the triac , but here is where it differs. When they pulse the opto coupler from the micro , they don't
pulse it once for some period , they feed it a pulse train until just before zero crossing again. Surely the triac remains on after the first pulse , until zero crossing ,
so repeatedly driving the opto-> triac would make no difference , or is there something I may not be aware of in this type of application.
The other drive does seem to run a little quieter , that is the motor seems quieter. Same motor , different drive.
cheers
Neddie.

Status
Not open for further replies.