Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Single Side Stable Relay Polarity Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ballimo

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello ALL,
Relay.PNG

I am using a Single side stable Relay "TX2-12V" From Panasonic ; The datasheet shows the Direction indication as : (+) for pin 1 and (-) for pin 12 , (Deenergized condition); Please check snapshot above.

The nominal coil voltage is 12V, should I connect 12V to pin 1 and ground to pin 12? what confuse me is the "Deenergized condition" note, does this coil change polarity in the energized condition?

Thank you in advance,
Ballimo

what confuse me is the "Deenergized condition"
Did you consider the trivial explanation that the words refer to the contact position?

Your connection is just fine. What should "change polarity" mean, by the way? The important point is that correct coil polarity actually matters for this relays type, also for the monostable one.

Why you need to worry about "Deenergized condition" when manufacturer had given the Polarity then it is already protected against Inductive behavior of relay coil, just put 12 v on pin no. 1, and ground on pin no. 12 according to your diagram it should operate.

I am not familiar with Relays, but I was reading that when you remove the voltage that was applied to the relay coil, the magnetic field collapses and creates a reverse polarity voltage for this reason you need a reversed biased diode across the coil relay.
I was wondering if "Deenergized condition" is when the reverse polarity voltage is created?

If the Manufacturer had mentioned the polarity it means there is a diode inside relay preventing inductive behavior of a coil.

If the Manufacturer had mentioned the polarity it means there is a diode inside relay preventing inductive behavior of a coil.
Not right for Panasonic TX2-12V and similar types. They have a polarized drive, involving a permanent magnet. You still need free-wheeling diode.

Hello ALL,
View attachment 106349

I am using a Single side stable Relay "TX2-12V" From Panasonic ; The datasheet shows the Direction indication as : (+) for pin 1 and (-) for pin 12 , (Deenergized condition); Please check snapshot above.

The nominal coil voltage is 12V, should I connect 12V to pin 1 and ground to pin 12? what confuse me is the "Deenergized condition" note, does this coil change polarity in the energized condition?

Thank you in advance,
Ballimo

No. It doesn't change polarity. Connect pin 1 to + and pin 12 to gnd.
De-Energized means "with no power to the coil" so the schematic is showing which pins will be closed when the relay has no power.

Also, a diode should be connected across the coil to prevent the inductive "kick" from the magnetic field collapse of the relay coil from damaging the relay drive electronics. Use an 1N4007.

ET

Status
Not open for further replies.