Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

single layer auto routing... altium 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

madusnk

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
sir , i m trying to do single layer auto routing with altium.But i couldnt find the exact way of doing that. can some one guid me . i really appriciate your help..

Set up two layers in the layer stack manager - top and bottom.

Go to the Design Rules and set the "Routing Layers" rule to "Allow Routing" by checking the box for whatever side you want to use. Leave the other box unchecked.

Now the autorouter will only be able to use the single enabled layer you set up. Keep in mind that you'll have to put in any required jumpers by hand when the autorouter is done. Altium doesn't automatically install jumpers.

Usually, single layer boards are so simple that people hand route them. It's rare that you would spend the time to set up the routing constraints for the autorouter, and then spend the time cleaning up after the autorouting. It's probably just as fast to route by hand.

single layer auto routing... @ltium 6

thank you so much "House_Cat". I got that. But i have one more problem. that is how to place jumpers. actually sorry for asking this like simple questions.I only have one week to finish the project.so i have no time to go through altium tools.Even though my design is single layer it is little bit complex to do manual routing specially to a newbie like me. i really great full to you for helping me.

single layer auto routing... @ltium 6

madusnk,

House_Cat's advice to do it manually is very sound advice. You really should try to do it manually. If it is a bit complex it probably shouldn't be a single sided board in the first place. Furthermore - the if it is complex the autorouter is likely to make a mess of it when constrained to using only one side.

Adding the jumpers can be done a number of ways. I would recommend using a fixed component for the jumpers such as a 1206 resistor or a Axial-0.5 resistor. Anticipate where the jumpers are required, add them to the schematic then update the jumper changes back to the pcb. This way you can maintain correct net assignments, and pass the design rule check.

oddbudman

As an additional remark, some autorouters as Cadence Specctra are basically able to place jumpers (as a special kind of vias with a length) automaticly. But it's clearly advanced trade and some skill is needed to manage it.

I basically agree with the comments that suggest to route a single layer board manually. Another option is to route it as two layer with a high coast setting and a length restriction(if present in Altium?) for one layer. You can modify the result then, replacing the necessary other layer traces by jumpers.

Re: single layer auto routing... @ltium 6

madusnk said:
thank you so much "House_Cat". I got that. But i have one more problem. that is how to place jumpers. actually sorry for asking this like simple questions.I only have one week to finish the project.so i have no time to go through @ltium tools.Even though my design is single layer it is little bit complex to do manual routing specially to a newbie like me. i really great full to you for helping me.

It will be obvious where you need jumpers. Altium will complete autorouting, but there will be some tracks that it couldn't route without crossing other tracks. You'll have to manually complete those, and where there is no path that doesn't cross other tracks, you'll have to add pads for a jumper on either side of the obstruction. Jumpers were added as a valid component in AD version 6.9. You can read about them on page 5 of "AR0146 Whats New in Altium Designer 6.9.pdf". That file is available in the "Help" subdirectory of your installation, or online at https://www.altium.com/files/altium...s/AR0146 Whats New in Altium Designer 6.9.PDF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back