Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

sinewave to ttl converter for frequency counter

Status
Not open for further replies.

neazoi

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, I am making a 0-50MHz MCU frequency counter. The MCU probably accepts ttl levels on it's input and I would like to build a suitable amplifier that will be able to amplify low signal levels and at the same time square them.

I have found two such amplifiers:

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed** (the differential transistor or the line receiver version)

Could you please notify me which is best (and wideband down to DC) or propose a siotable circuit?

Attachments

• DSC08083.jpg
    DSC08083.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 135

use 74hc14 it is a hex schimitt trigger ic
you can apply any waveform in the input e.g. sine, triangluar , sawtooth , and ouput will be only square wave TTL LEVEL.**broken link removed**

use 74hc14 it is a hex schimitt trigger ic
you can apply any waveform in the input e.g. sine, triangluar , sawtooth , and ouput will be only square wave TTL LEVEL.**broken link removed**

Yes this does the waveform conversion part but only this. To drive a TTL frequency counter you also need preamplification prior to converting, in order low level signals to come to a level suitable for the 7414.

The approach he uses **broken link removed** uses a line driver which i think is very sensitive to voltage variations above or below ground and it can be matched to 50 ohms, which is the standard impedance in RF

I would like your comments on this.

- - - Updated - - -

This amplifier uses a pait of antiparallel diodes as a limiter to "create" the square wave signal at 0.7vpp and then amplifies that to logic levels. This is not a so good technique as it limits very much the sensitivity of the counter! Also It does not seem quite broadband.

Status
Not open for further replies.