Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Simulation of a Hittite mixer IC in Agilent (Keysight) ADS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wassoahikh

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,
I am Wasim from Wisconsin-Madison. I am new to ADS simulations. I am willing to simulate a mixer IC by Hittite in ADS. There are no direct modules provided by the vendor so I am using data-items and s-parameter file provided by the vendor. However I found that only reflection parameters are provided in the s-param file corrosponding to each port of Mixer. There is no information about S21,S12,S22. Now I am confused how to carry out the simulation. What should be the correct way to do this? Am I missing something?

I am attaching schematic of my circuit,

Mixer IC datasheet,
https://www.hittite.com/products/view.html/view/HMC524LC3B

Please help.

Thanks,
Wasim

I guess you're working on a I/Q Demodulator, right ??
If it's so, characterizing I/Q outputs is not very interesting( relatively low frequency) .If LO level is sufficiently high, LO port can be neglected.( Matching is not must because this port is hardly driven)
For RF Input, you'll need a-at least-small signal s-parameters to match to LNA output.If they are not given, you request from Hittite.. They will help you..

Thanks BigBoss, Yes, you are correct. Its an I/Q demodulator. They have given S11 for each port of Mixer in the form of .s1p file. But S21/S12/S32 is not given, considering RF:port1, IF:port2, LO:port3. When I am trying to use Mixer2 module in ADS it needs these values for simulation. Am I missing some thing? I tried to get it from the datasheet but its not very clear from that as well. Can I continue simulation without these values?

ADS Mixer2 Module Properties,

Thanks in Advance,

Thanks BigBoss, Yes, you are correct. Its an I/Q demodulator. They have given S11 for each port of Mixer in the form of .s1p file. But S21/S12/S32 is not given, considering RF:port1, IF:port2, LO:port3. When I am trying to use Mixer2 module in ADS it needs these values for simulation. Am I missing some thing? I tried to get it from the datasheet but its not very clear from that as well. Can I continue simulation without these values?

ADS Mixer2 Module Properties,

Thanks in Advance,
I have look at the datasheet. LO-RF and LO-IF isolation values have been given !! .And you got Conversion Loss too..
You hold almost all necessary data.What else you're looking for ??
Assign Sij=Sji and fill Conversion Loss ( Gain ) and try..

If we assume that Port1=LO, Port2=RF, Port3=IF

S12=S21=-40dB, S13=S31=-30dB, S32=-10dB, you already know Sii ( from s-parameter file)

You don't know S23 but assign a high value as-for instance- (-40dB) and try to simulate..
I think you have almost all data..

Thanks BigBoss. Thats exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back