Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simulation for Static performance of the DAC/ADC

Status
Not open for further replies.

snoop835

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone.

I am currently designing R2R 8-bits DAC. Now I want to simulate the DAC static performance i.e. offset error, gain error, INL and DNL. What I did was, I generated an ideal 8-bit DAC and compared the transfer slope to the actual DAC (ideal DAC slope vs actual DAC slope). From this I can directly measure INL/DNL/Offset?Gain Error. However I'm not sure whether this is the correct way of doing it!

Can anybody consult me on this problem.

CHEERS.......................

i do in the same way as u did. for ideal DAC, u just need a mathematic model, there is no need to design it with ideal blocks

Thanks analogic1!

I managed to generate ideal DAC transfer slope using ideal DAC. Then I compare it with actual DAC transfer slope. From this I measured the INL/DNL/Offset/Gain error directly from the simulation (ideal slope vs actual slope). However I couldn't get the correct measurement result using this method.

Is the method I used is correct to characterise the DAC static performance? Is there any other method which is more reliable?

I read an article about measuring INL/DNL using transition point. Roughly in this method we need to measure the transition voltage from 11010 to 11011. Then we need to apply certain formulas to calculate for INL/DNL. Is this a valid way to characterise the DAC static performance?Anyone has good references on this method?

CHEERS........

Though I had well read your message that talks about DAC, here is a doc that explain how to test an ADC...

Let's assume that parameters are quite the same... nevertheless, I think that methods are similar

bye

Thank you manitooo, your post would be very helpful. :D

really thanks for the rar file for testing

thanks a lot

you could use Matlab deal with the data you get from simulation with spice。Or search some info from net.

Added after 3 minutes:

The file manitooo uploaded is so detail ,I think enough for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back