Not open for further replies.

FE2O3EE

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hf rf amp

I'm interested in modeling several different RF amplifier designs for operation on amateur radio frequencies in the HF spectrum (3-30MHz). The application requires linear amplifiers but needs to be efficient, so I'm looking at running Class B. Mosfets seem to be favored in the newer designs I have seen from a number of sources, but it would be interesting to contrast their performance with BJT designs. Power levels are under 10 watts.

I have been using Micro Cap 9 for a simulator lately and am generally pleased with its ease-of-use and features. Unfortunately, many of the amplifier circuits I wish to simulate make use of transmission-line-transformers and I'm confused about how to model them with MC9 (it uses HSpice). MC9 provides only basic 4-terminal transformers in its library. It also contains transmission line elements in the library, but they are not coupled as they are in a TLT. A little Googling around shows that this problem is addressed in high-end RF design packages like AWR Designer, but this seems like overkill for frequencies and power range I am working with. I was hoping someone might be able to suggest a way for me to obtain reasonably accurate large-signal simulation under MC9/HSpice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…