Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Simple Shift Register

Status
Not open for further replies.

scopeprobe

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can anyone point me to a 8 or 16 bit shift register IC (like the 74HC595) that doesn't have the latch requirement please.

I am just astounded. How are you going to be able to use a shift register, when don’t even know how to perform the simplest of internet searches?

Okay, here you go:
74HC164
CD4021
74HC299
etc.

scopeprobe

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I am just astounded. How are you going to be able to use a shift register, when don’t even know how to perform the simplest of internet searches?

Okay, here you go:
74HC164
CD4021
74HC299
etc.
Many Thanks the 74HCT164 is exactly what i was looking for. I did search but the IC's coming up all had secondary latch registers and such like which isn't what i wanted. Sometimes its just easier to ask as i knew they are very commonly used, using them isn't an issue.

You need this onchip with a processor or just stand alone ? How many bits total do you
need, just the 8 or are you cascading a few ?

Regards, Dana.

Hi,

just a bit about correct terminology:

You talk about "latch". A latch has a data input and a control input. The control input decides whether the latch is in transparent mode (inactive) or freezes the data. The latch control input is level sensitive.
If you don´t need the latch function, simply tie the control input to "transparent" state.

But the HC595 has a "D-Type flip flop". The control input is edge triggered, thus it needs "edges" to transmit the data to the output. There is no "transparent" mode on D-FFs.

Using latch or D-FF on shift registers makes sense. If you don´t use them, then you see the data rippeling through the shift registers. Usually you don´t want this.

Klaus

Hi,

just a bit about correct terminology:

You talk about "latch". A latch has a data input and a control input. The control input decides whether the latch is in transparent mode (inactive) or freezes the data. The latch control input is level sensitive.
If you don´t need the latch function, simply tie the control input to "transparent" state.

But the HC595 has a "D-Type flip flop". The control input is edge triggered, thus it needs "edges" to transmit the data to the output. There is no "transparent" mode on D-FFs.

Using latch or D-FF on shift registers makes sense. If you don´t use them, then you see the data rippeling through the shift registers. Usually you don´t want this.

Klaus

Yes i didn't want the latch storage capability of the 595, i just wanted just a simple shift register that i cold clock some bits for a very simple timer.
--- Updated ---

You need this onchip with a processor or just stand alone ? How many bits total do you
need, just the 8 or are you cascading a few ?

Regards, Dana.
Its just standalond driven by a clock. The 74HC164 met the requirement thanks

Hi,
Yes i didn't want the latch storage capability of the 595
Again: The 595 does not include a latch, it includes a D-FF instead.
Maybe you don´t care about the correct terminology, but on an (international) forum this may cause misunderstandings. Indeed every time you discuss technical informations with other people.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back