Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple gate driver with signal transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorgen M.

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

I'm trying to figure out how to make a simple gate driver with a signal transformer, but I have run into two issues I can not figure out, perhaps you can help me. I only have three design constraints, the value of C3, C4 and I need it to be simple as possible.

1. I can not speed up the charging of C3 (maybe also C4), how to do it if possible?
2. There is a huge current spike through D1 and I do not know if that is only a simulation issue or something like that, if it is not, then how do I remove the spike?

Edit: The attached zip file contains the LTspice files

Screenshot from 2020-09-06 19-22-05.png

Screenshot from 2020-09-06 19-23-53.png

Attachments

• driver03.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 56

you've got no means of re-setting the transformer - this ckt will never work well ....
--- Updated ---

also a real GT Tx will have much higher Lmag and some leakage L, better to establish +15 and -10V on the right hand ( isolated side ) and then use either another signal Tx to create the gate drive - or use ah high speed opto to do same - then you can have an emitter follower by the IGBT which can easily supply the turn on & turn off currents ....

Hi Easy peasy

Thank you for your good advice. Then I was mistaken that the transformer would be reset by the subsequent negative voltage input pulse.

Status
Not open for further replies.