Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Simple clock division--- VHDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

uselessmail

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi there...

How do I divide the clock frequency by 2 for a simple VHDL code?
For eg. if the code is something like this:
Code:
process(clock)
begin
      if rising_edge(clock) then
         b_out <= a_in;
      end if;
end process;

Now if I want the same operation to take place, not at every rising edge of (clock) but at that of (clock/2), how do I modify my code?

Regards,
jack

Basically, you dont want to do that. You want to make clock enables. Creating a clock with logic can lead to and unstable design. If you want to divide the clock use a PLL (altera) or DCM (xilinx). Or generate clock enables at the correct frequency.

Reactions: ravics

ravics

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Basically, you dont want to do that. You want to make clock enables. Creating a clock with logic can lead to and unstable design. If you want to divide the clock use a PLL (altera) or DCM (xilinx). Or generate clock enables at the correct frequency.

Actually I am already using a DCM and the (clock) here is actually an output from the DCM. The entire synthesis has a lot of operations which use that clock.
In the code, I need just one operation, in this case, "b_out <= a_in" to happen at half the clock frequency.

As TrickyDicky said, it would be better to control your statement using logic, instead of clock.
you can create a signal which invert itself every clock. Then, use this signal as enable signal in your process statement.

If you have to create a clock with half the frequency, you can use PMCD if your device has it. Again, you need to think about the clock phase and delay between the original clock and /2 clock.

It's easy to add a clock enable in the present case, keeping a full synchronous design.
Code:
process(clock)
begin
         ck_en <= NOT ck_en;
         if ck_en = '1' then
           b_out <= a_in;
         end if;
      end if;
end process;

It's easy to add a clock enable in the present case, keeping a full synchronous design.
Code:
process(clock)
begin
         ck_en <= NOT ck_en;
         if ck_en = '1' then
           b_out <= a_in;
         end if;
      end if;
end process;

Thank you!! Thats exactly what I needed!!!

Is there a similar technique to say multiply the clock by two? Instead of dividing the clock by half, what if one needs to double it?

No simple method:
1. Use a 2x clock for the system clock and have the enables toggle
2. use a DCM/PLL to multiply the clock by 2

Status
Not open for further replies.