Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SIM card as removable memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

ldanielrosa

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Has anyone used a SIM card for something like a data logger? They're considered disposable and a lot of applications don't require much capacity. Being able to swap out the memory on the fly and review it at leisure would be an asset.

A similar project as occurred to me and its on my TO-DO list someday. I bought a bunch of 128MB MicroSD cards that came with an adapter to full-size SD. I figure that I can solder the adapter right into the circuit and use it as a socket for the MicroSDs.
Most of these cards can be accessed in single bit SPI mode. (However, the high density, high speed cards no longer support SPI, so be careful when you buy.)
The biggest issue with the cards is not writing and reading the cards. It is mantaining the file system so that you can readback the logged data on a PC. There are some FAT16 and FAT32 drivers out there. The overhead usually forces you to use a fairly large microcontroller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back