Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Silly "useless machine"... how much torque do i need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack.Straw

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello. I started making one of those useless machines (leave me alone box?) but my box is pretty tiny. The inside usable area is 3" long x 2" wide x 2" tall, so i need a motor that will fit in that space along with a couple batteries, a small switch, and the arm. I've found several that would work as far as size goes, but am unsure on the amount of torque i will need. The toggle switch that the arm will need to push is Radio Shack part 275-636. The arm will be made of 1/4" wood, as will the door that it needs push open before hitting the switch. This is a to-scale representation using **broken link removed**:

useless.jpg

Of course that does not show the inside switch, batteries, or anything else. The specs on that motor show 11.00 in*oz torque at 3 volts. Do you think that is enough to do the job? If not, how much torque would you guess is needed to do the job? I know that's probably hard to say considering i can't really tell you how hard it is to move the toggle, what kind of hinge i am using, or how heavy the arm is... but any advice you can offer would be appreciated!

Such a fun waste of time :)
-Scott

toggle switch that you use , require very large force to throw it on one side and the same for the other.

you must first know the reqd force for the switch you likely use .
then only you can say whether the motor is suitable or not.

Thanks for the responose... is the required force something i can find on the spec sheet or from the manufacturer?

Sounds like your motor may not have enough torque. I've modded several servos into gear-motors to be used in useless machine and the specs on them were around 3-5 Kg/cM.

The motor that I'm selling in my Useless kits stall at around 3Lbs/inch.

But, it all depends on how stiff your toggle is, and how long an arm you use (longer arms need more torque). And you can also adjust things by using 2, 3 or 4 batteries. The original design suggested using 4 AA's which in most cases was overkill. It made for a really strong/fast action...too fast in my opinion. By dropping down to 3 or 2 cells, there usually was enough torque to flip the toggle.

The only real way to know is to test things out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back