Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

silly problem that i created

Status
Not open for further replies.

manjish

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi guys
i accidently dropped a iron nail in one of my lead acid battery compartment while i was refilling it with distilled water.what should i do now....its a 12 volt 180 ah battery.......im a bit worried as it is somewhat new battery hehe[/b]

Well there's 2 option's i guess .
A : Get your safety glasses and (plastic tipped isolated) pincer to get it out again .
B : Get your safety glasses and see if the battery acid eaten the nail (preferred option)
My advise ,please be carefull with large accu's .
Take of your watch ,isolate your tools ,just be very, very carefull .
Accu's welded a watch to my coworkers arm ,they made srerious fires on my workbench .
Do yourself a favour and do not try your luck .

P.s. when its a stationary accu and the nail didn't short the cell see if its accesable ,otherwise leave it .
When it does short your cell it really has to get out of there ,this shorted cell will ruin your accu .

thanks....i took it out safely

as walkura pointed-out before, ALWAYS USE SAFETY GLASSES, gloves, and if is possible a mask to cover your face. do this job in a well ventilated area, outside, or if cannot, install a small fan towards the battery to remove the hidrogen which may accumulate and cause violent explosions. i have a friend which carries some scarface from an attempt to repair a truck battery, the H ignite from a spark and one battery compartment blew up completely, splashig acid everywhere.

Also wear your oldest clothes that you can throw away if you drip acid on them. Place the battery on a surface that is low cost and you would not be upset if it is scarred from acid drops.

Status
Not open for further replies.